Fog & Moon for Linen Lovers.
We adore crisp clean 100% pure linen. We want you to find sanctuary in our plant based materials and textiles that are hand crafted by our designer.
We love natural, simple and functional designs that have been inspired by nature and the elements. Our use of natural material and handmade techniques give our products an heirloom quality.
Why Do We Love linen?
Let Us Count the Ways…
- Linen is made from all natural European flax plant fibres.
- 100 percent pure linen is regarded as a high quality material internationally.
- Linen is durable.
- It is a breathable fibre, so it will keep you cooler in the summer.
- It is cool against the skin – it has been measured that the body temperature of a person wearing linen can be up to 5% cooler.
- Linen has antibacterial properties, which is why it was used in medicine as bandages and as sheets on hospital beds.
- Linen is also hypoallergenic.
- The more linen is washed, the softer and smoother is becomes.
- Linen is capable of absorbing moisture and then quickly yielding it again – so it is great in the kitchen.
- Linen is biodegradable!
European Flax | the Linen Plant
Linen fabric is made from the cellulose fibres that grow inside of the stalks of the European flax plant Linum usitatissimum. A flax crop is a more sustainable option than manmade materials that are heavy in chemicals + plastic elements. Even washing synthetic fibres at home can result in more micro plastic materials that end up in our oceans.
At the moment there is no European flax fibre linen and textile production in New Zealand. This is where Fog & Moon would like to see a change. Our native New Zealand flax plant harakeke or phormium tenax was / is used by Maori for its medicinal properties, food, clothing, packaging, wraps for food and bags. At Fog & Moon we would like to see what happens when the European flax and New Zealand native flax plants are processed together to produce a high quality, sustainable product of heirloom quality to be passed down through generations.
Fog & Moon import the finest quality linens and pair them with our New Zealand flax plant by packaging them in reusable flax boxes and combine them with handmade flax papers. Even our hand made labels are hand drawn & signed on pure linen.
We are working hard to ensure that we make products that are conscious of our impact on the environment.
“FOG & MOON PRODUCTS ARE THOUGHTFULLY DESIGNED AND ETHICALLY MADE IN WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND.”